Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > Solo Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2002, 08:20 PM

Hello,
Are there cruise lines that don't charge double for a single cruiser....? What is the scoop? I have been a solo cruiser... and LOVE it. Unfortunately, I had to pay for the entire cabin, I understand, I USED the entire cabin [hahah], but, I would like to have paid a single fare.
Has anyone experienced a single/solo cabin? And what pearls of wisdom do you have to share?
Thanks,
Maureen
Galavanteers Travel Co
Old 06-26-2002, 07:13 PM

If you are into Alaska or Central America, Wilderness Explorer offers single rates that are better than the average.

Karen
Old 07-01-2002, 01:39 PM

I have not actually stayed in a cabin that was designated as a single passenger room, but I did take advantage of the single share policy that Carnival offers and since they found no one to share a cabin with me - I traveled in a regular size cabin, at a single fare. I know it is the luck of the draw and you take your chances on a roommate, but given the price difference - I would not hesitate to do it again.
Suzi
Old 08-06-2002, 06:27 PM

Maureen..as a single cruiser myself...this is a hot button issue. You would think a few more cruise lines would wake up to the fact that we don't eat twice as much,etc..but I suppose their revenue projections are based on double occupancy.

Anyway, the ultra luxury lines all have more lenient policies with cruisers. For top categories they will charge 200%...but in lower categories they might charge 130% to 150%. Or on Radisson, in lower categories they just have a surcharge.

On the premium lines, Holland America has some lower single supplements.

On the mainstream lines, Costa allows singles to sail for a smaller supplement on a space available basis.

There are also older ships out their on various lines that have single cabins...such as the Norway and the QEII.

If you can travel last minute...there are some travel agents who specialize in seeking out cruises where the single supplement has been dropped all together to fill up the ship. But you are not going to get that kind of info without an agent.

Good luck!

Queen of Bermuda, New Years '89
Tropicale, 2/99
Explorer of the Seas, 9/7/02
Queen Mary 2, 1/31/04
Old 08-18-2002, 11:47 AM

I recently booked a RCCL cruise on Voyager of the Sea through Golfahoy.com for end September. The main reason I booked the trip was because Lori was able to secure a guaranteed Outside room with NO Single Supp. charge. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I have also read on other Web sites ( ?? cruise critics.com) that some of the cruise lines will wave the Single Supp. if requseted through a Travel Agent. I think this is sort of a hit or miss proposition.

I sailed on Holland America 2 years ago and had to pay the single supp. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

IMO the best thing to do is to check with different Cruise travel Agents to see if they have been successful in getting the Single Supp dropped.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Rob S
Old 02-02-2003, 04:30 PM

I tried booking a cruise with RCCL ( had been with them before )and it was a 200 % charge for single and did not matter what class room etc.. they would not budge... I talked to Cranival ( had read it was a 150% mark up )and was given room for less than advert price.. From others I have talked to it seems Carnival is more flexable ..
Old 02-21-2003, 02:40 AM

I've recently booked a double cabin on a cruise with Airtours, on their Sundream Ship, and was charged 200 less than if I had booked with a friend, because i think they had a special deal on at the time. But I think Airtours are pretty flexible about it anyway.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:34 PM

i just booked on The Star Princess on the Princess cruise line - mini suite - they did not give me a break on price at all - paying for 2 people in suite but its just me. I wouldn't want the cruise lines to pick a room mate for me because I don't know how wise that would be - so I am biting the bullet. Never been on a cruise by myself so hope it works out okay - my trip is to Alaska the end of the month

Closed Thread

Tags
booking, cost, cruise, cruiser, cruises, cruising, forum, maryland, price, priceing, prices, pricing, ships, single, singles