Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > Solo Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2007, 08:52 AM

So I'm a 23 year-old guy, single, and am thinking of a cruise for my first vacation in the post-collegiate "real working world."

I'm not desperately looking to find a lifelong Ms. Right on a ship, but I would like to meet singles on board (preferably around my age), have a great time on the cruise, and if things work out beyond the cruise, that's even better.

Originally, I was thinking of a Bermuda cruise, simply because so many leave from Cape Liberty (almost walking distance from my apartment) and New York (quick subway ride), versus paying extra to fly to a ship. But after reading a lot of the reviews, it seems like the shorter Bahamas cruises (such as those on Carnival's Fascination) are the ones which have the most singles my age on board. The rates look pretty good--even with travel cost to Florida and a singles' supplement it wouldn't break the bank for me.

So I guess my questions are:
1) I've browsed sites for third-party-organized (i.e. VTG) singles cruises, and while I noticed that they attract broad ranges of singles, does that include an appreciable percentage of people in their 20s? Or are the structured cruise events generally for other age groups?
1a) If the organized events are mostly for a different age range, are ship-sponsored singles events a good bet (and are they standard on most cruise ships?)?
2) Best times of the year for a cruise such as this?
3) Any other reccommendations? Things I should look out for?
4) Best done traveling solo or with a friend?

Sorry this is long, just wanted to throw it all on the table at once. Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old 07-08-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
1) I've browsed sites for third-party-organized (i.e. VTG) singles cruises, and while I noticed that they attract broad ranges of singles, does that include an appreciable percentage of people in their 20s? Or are the structured cruise events generally for other age groups?
These type of specifics will have to be discussed with the Singles Dept of the companies you're dealing with. They can give guidance on which itineraries and sailings are geared toward different demographics. They certainly can't discriminate based on age so any age group can participate. They can, based on experience give you expectations for different sailings. Short sailings generally draw younger passengers and RCI and Carnival draw younger passengers than other lines. These type of groups are set up to fit you to the cruise that will best fit your needs.

On the other questions, I'm not going to be of much help, I've been married over 25 years and am clueless on singles issues.

Good luck, Neil
Old 07-15-2007, 03:02 PM

Thanks. I'm looking at a shorter sailing on Carnival during a holiday a couple months from now. Not looking to go with a particular organization at this point, but figure my odds are good for having a good time.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:38 PM

For singles, I suggest you stick to a 3, 4 or 5 day cruise. The Bahamas/Cozumel cruises on Carnival will have the highest percentage of "under 30's". Most of the organized single cruises will have people just a bit older than you.

As a single man in his 20's, you will not be alone very long on the Fascination, Fantasy, Imagination, Sensation, Celebration (all Carnival ships).

I would take an early/mid fall cruise because there will be less children and less teen girls pretending to be over the age of consent (major problem). Go after school starts and you won't take a chance on running into that type of trouble. On that note, check out any young lady's sail and sign card. If she is under 21, her sail and sign will show it.

You will have an awesome time. After you get your sea legs, you can try an organized group cruise.

As far as going with a buddy. . . do what works best for you.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Victory, CCL Imagination, CCL Victory

Past Cruzes: RCCL Navigator, RCCL Majesty, CCL Destiny,
Glory (2007),Liberty (2007), Fantasy (2007), Destiny (2006), PofAm (2005), Inspiration (2005), Fascination (2004), Victory (2004), Fascination (2004), RCCL VOS(2003), Fantasy (1999)
Old 07-17-2007, 08:49 PM

Thanks for the advice...I went ahead and booked a cruise that fits those descriptors (as I think you already saw).

Thanks for the on-board advice too...regarding "sea legs", does it really take time to get used to being on the ship? Or are the stabilizers so good you don't need to adjust? Just curious...
Old 07-18-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aoumd:
Thanks for the advice...I went ahead and booked a cruise that fits those descriptors (as I think you already saw).

Thanks for the on-board advice too...regarding "sea legs", does it really take time to get used to being on the ship? Or are the stabilizers so good you don't need to adjust? Just curious...
The stablizers are pretty good. Sometimes in the evening you can feel the ship moving and it can feel "weird" to a newbie. It is not really enough to make you sick but you can feel a very slight "movement". Nothing to fear.

When I said sea legs I really meant after your first cruise and once you have an actual idea of what crusing is. When you walk on the ship and know exactly what is going to happen and know what to expect and not expect, you have your sea legs. Usually only takes one cruise and you are an expert.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Victory, CCL Imagination, CCL Victory

Past Cruzes: RCCL Navigator, RCCL Majesty, CCL Destiny,
Glory (2007),Liberty (2007), Fantasy (2007), Destiny (2006), PofAm (2005), Inspiration (2005), Fascination (2004), Victory (2004), Fascination (2004), RCCL VOS(2003), Fantasy (1999)
Old 07-31-2007, 06:40 PM

IB Cruzin, Just noticed your "motto", Why do you cruise alone? That sounds really sad but I guess you like it. Don't you have any friends who will go with you?
Old 07-31-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Crissy Knox:
IB Cruzin, Just noticed your "motto", Why do you cruise alone? That sounds really sad but I guess you like it. Don't you have any friends who will go with you?
Actually, that's a good question in general for this thread...is cruising alone really a "sad" thing? I'm thinking of doing it alone (though am also thinking of doing it with friends if they are free then), and while I know people often make it sound great here, is there a downside people aren't often talking about here? Do people on cruise ships look at a solo cruiser oddly? I know lots of singles cruise, but what about people who travel solo without friends?
Old 07-31-2007, 07:34 PM
Banned

I've been very alone; it sucks. Dreary, depressing, hopeless, hapless, helpless.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:56 PM

Cheer up, you have cruise chat! I just figured people who cruise alone maybe don't have many friends or maybe have difficulty with lasting relationships.

But if they do so by design, maybe they are okay with it? It can't be to "hook-up"in a meaningless string of relationships, can it? That is depressing.

I just think about memories on cruises and family and loved ones. Who are you going to turn to and say, "remember when..."?

Closed Thread

Tags
20s, 23, 30, best, cruise, cruises, guy, guys, hook, olds, reviews, single, singles, ups, year