Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > Solo Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 05:45 PM

I've sailed 4 times solo and will be again June 25 on NCL Spirit. Do I prefer solo? No, but I won't give up cruising. It gets lonely, even with over a thousand people. Worst is eating dinner alone. If anyone has info on a cruise line that does more for solo travelers (other than singles cruisers) I would love your input
Thanks!!
Old 05-04-2010, 06:12 PM

The new NCL Epic will have special single studio cabins that are priced better for the single person. NCL may also be a better fit for you to meet other singles to mingle with.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Paul Motter from our sister website CruiseMates will be in one of the Epic studio cabins on the ships first cruise as it heads from Europe to NYC. I am looking forward to his reports from the ship, especially about the exclusive "living room" which is only for those booked in these special cabins. It promises to really take the single cruiser issue to a new and more enlightened level.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:26 AM

Hi CDBermuda,
I have cruised Solo at least 10 times, I would hate dinner alone too. I noticed that you are sailing NCL with their Freestyle dining, is that why you are eating alone? I always did traditional dining and was seated with others dining alone. It wasn't always the perfect match but always found a few people to hang around. Another secret was to check out the photo galleries and find others who were photographed alone. Anyway, enjoy your cruise!!
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006
CCL Ecstasy-2006
Enchantment of the Seas-2006
Adventure of the Seas-2007
Enchantment of the Seas-2007
Grandeur of the Seas-2009
Radiance of the Seas-2009
Celebrity Century-2010
Old 05-05-2010, 09:38 AM

I'm not sure which cruise lines you've been on solo. I've been on Carnival, Princess, NCL, and HAL solo. Carnival and NCL seemed to have more activities, to me. For dinner, you can always ask to share a table on NCL. That's one great thing about open dining, you get to meet more people that way. I met most of the people I hung out with on excursions. At least I knew we shared some common interests.

I guess, being an only child, I just don't think much about going solo. I've always had fun because I'm on board. In fact, sometimes not having someone griping is much more fun. Plus, I don't have to worry about doing what someone else wants to do when they want to do it
Old 05-05-2010, 11:07 AM

I am with Penny, I love cruising with others, but I also loved cruising solo. Having the freedom to do what I want, when I wanted is a great part of cruising solo.

When I recently cruised with my new hubby for the first time, it threw me for a loop when he wanted to do things I had never done before. I went along with his choices(being a happ newlywed), and sometimes he made better choices and then sometimes I gently suggested my way, he didn't always agree, but we continued to find out more about each other in a very good way. I would certainly cruise solo again if he couldn't go, and enjoy the solo part of cruising.

I also agree with Penny that excursions and certain events on the ship, I would always run into the same people who share common interests. I never attended singles events either. I never tried Freestyle or Anytime dining on my own, but I think if you asked to share a table with others, the Maitre d is very understanding.
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006
CCL Ecstasy-2006
Enchantment of the Seas-2006
Adventure of the Seas-2007
Enchantment of the Seas-2007
Grandeur of the Seas-2009
Radiance of the Seas-2009
Celebrity Century-2010
Old 05-05-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cruise Fanatic:
The new NCL Epic will have special single studio cabins that are priced better for the single person. NCL may also be a better fit for you to meet other singles to mingle with.
Yes...I saw that after I had booked my cruise. Perhaps next time I may do that
Thanks!
Old 05-05-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
Paul Motter from our sister website CruiseMates will be in one of the Epic studio cabins on the ships first cruise as it heads from Europe to NYC. I am looking forward to his reports from the ship, especially about the exclusive "living room" which is only for those booked in these special cabins. It promises to really take the single cruiser issue to a new and more enlightened level.
Thanks, Dave...I'll look forward to hearing the reviews
Old 05-05-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by queenofcruzin:
Hi CDBermuda,
I have cruised Solo at least 10 times, I would hate dinner alone too. I noticed that you are sailing NCL with their Freestyle dining, is that why you are eating alone? I always did traditional dining and was seated with others dining alone. It wasn't always the perfect match but always found a few people to hang around. Another secret was to check out the photo galleries and find others who were photographed alone. Anyway, enjoy your cruise!!
Yes, that is why I am eating alone...and NCL doesn't (or hasn't in the past in my experience) been very accomodating about sharing tables. I don't know why. I was told, at least once, that there weren't any tables sharing at the time. Not sure how a photograph would help, since it gives no information about who they are and if they are hoping to at least find a dinner companion. (?)
Thanks...neeeeeed this vacation terribly!
Old 05-05-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by penny3333:
I'm not sure which cruise lines you've been on solo. I've been on Carnival, Princess, NCL, and HAL solo. Carnival and NCL seemed to have more activities, to me. For dinner, you can always ask to share a table on NCL. That's one great thing about open dining, you get to meet more people that way. I met most of the people I hung out with on excursions. At least I knew we shared some common interests.

I guess, being an only child, I just don't think much about going solo. I've always had fun because I'm on board. In fact, sometimes not having someone griping is much more fun. Plus, I don't have to worry about doing what someone else wants to do when they want to do it
Yes, I agree. No griping is always a good thing My problem has always been eating...I ahte eating alone and NCL doesn't accomodate by sharing tables. Why they don't I do not know. Appreciate your post....thanks!

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, cruising, crusing, enjoy, great, lonely, loop, ncl, people, reviews, run, solo