Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > Solo Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2004, 08:10 PM

I'm currently booked on the cruise mentioned in the subject line.

I've been on a cruise before, but it was a zillion years ago. I'm going with 3 friends all of us ranging in age from 23 to 37. I'm the oldest.

I need to be sure of a few things first:

1. Is Amstel Light available on this ship?
2. Is Diet Coke available?
3. This card that I am assigned for my alcohol purchases etc. - is there a way to preload it before I get on the ship? I really would prefer not to take too much cash on the ship.
4. The Drivers License and birth certificate - I'm fine carrying around my D.L. - but the birth certificate - I'd hate it if my wallet got stolen and they were both in there. And I don't want to just leave it in my room either. Any sugestions?
5. I've no problems talking to anyone, but I don't want to come off as some old pedophile. Is there a decent amount of ladies in my age range that may be aboard? (25-35)

Thanks,
Professor
Old 12-04-2004, 08:10 PM

I'm currently booked on the cruise mentioned in the subject line.

I've been on a cruise before, but it was a zillion years ago. I'm going with 3 friends all of us ranging in age from 23 to 37. I'm the oldest.

I need to be sure of a few things first:

1. Is Amstel Light available on this ship?
2. Is Diet Coke available?
3. This card that I am assigned for my alcohol purchases etc. - is there a way to preload it before I get on the ship? I really would prefer not to take too much cash on the ship.
4. The Drivers License and birth certificate - I'm fine carrying around my D.L. - but the birth certificate - I'd hate it if my wallet got stolen and they were both in there. And I don't want to just leave it in my room either. Any sugestions?
5. I've no problems talking to anyone, but I don't want to come off as some old pedophile. Is there a decent amount of ladies in my age range that may be aboard? (25-35)

Thanks,
Professor
Old 12-04-2004, 08:49 PM

Welcome to Cruise-chat, Professor! Re: bringing cash - if you bring a credit card, your onboard account will be established with it. If you want to set up an onboard account with cash instead, they may ask you for a sizable amount ($500 or more), so the credit card is the way to go. Bring some cash for tips (for room service, porters at the airport & the dock, cabs and purchases in the ports of call, etc.) but otherwise you probably won't need it onboard. Several of us have recently recommended bringing about $200-300 (for one person) in cash on a cruise. Travelers checks work too, and can be cashed at the purser's desk.

If you don't want to bring your BC, you should get a passport. If you're a US citizen, you can get a passport usually in about a month's time after sending in the application (you'll need that BC for the application, of course). I have no idea how long this process takes for Canadians. The passport then can be used in place of both BC and license. Personally, I prefer to use a passport - simpler to have one document instead of two, and I can relate to your worrying about losing the BC. Make a couple photocopies of the front page of your passport, leave one at home in a safe place and take one with you, kept separate from your passport; in case of loss, it should make it easier to replace. (Incidentally, I don't take the passport with me on shore excursions unless it's required by the country in question - during port calls on a cruise, I take my license and my cruise ID instead. Most ships have a small safe in the cabins, and I leave valuables I am not carrying in there.)

Have a great cruise!

Closed Thread