The Diamond Princess is currently offering itineraries to Alaska and the Mexican Riviera. This ship joins the Grand-class of Princess ships along with her sister ship, the Sapphire Princess.
- The Diamond Princess debuted as the largest ship in the Princess fleet when it began sailing in 2004.
- The ship offers a variety of dining and entertainment options.
- The Diamond Princess features a larger number of balcony cabins than the average cruise ship.
- The Internet cafe provides a large number of computer stations and free pastries.
- The Grand Plaza Atrium offers a variety of snacks, drinks and entertainment.
Princess provides a host of dining options to please all types of cruisers. Those who prefer traditional seating will find what they are looking for at the International Dining Room. Personal choice dining is also available at one of four themed dining areas. Menus for all the dining rooms are similar, so guests will enjoy the same high quality cuisine no matter which restaurant they choose.
- The Diamond Princess offers premium dining in the Savoy and Sabatini's for a per-person service charge.
- Afternoon tea is served daily in the Pacific Moon dining room.
- The Horizon Court offers a buffet for breakfast and lunch and casual bistro-style dining.
- A wine bar offers vintages by the glass.
- Room service is available around the clock and special meals can be served in-cabin for an additional charge.
Entertainment and Nightlife
Traditional cruise entertainment and movies are shown in the large Princess Theatre. However, some of the all-time-favorite entertainment is found at the many nightclubs scattered throughout the ship, from live music to karaoke and comedians. Club Fusion provides the backdrop for game shows like the popular Princess Idol, while Skywalkers plays a wide mix of dance music. The roomy Grand Casino offers contests and tournaments in addition to the favorite slots and tables.
There is much to do on the Diamond Princess during the day as well, with a plethora of enrichment and recreational activities to choose from. The Princess Scholarship at Sea program offers courses in various fields, ranging from photography to computer technology. Second-run movies are also available in the Princess Theatre or Explorer's Lounge.
The Diamond Princess boasts one of the best ratios of cabins with balconies in the cruise industry. Balcony rooms tend to be fairly roomy although non-balcony rooms run more along industry average. Mini-suites are available with a separate seating area, and family suites offer connecting staterooms with two bathrooms and twice the closet space.
The Diamond Princess offers four pools, including a splash pool for tots and an adult-only pool near the Lotus Spa. Fitness buffs will enjoy the swim-against-the-current lap pool, jogging track and state of the art fitness equipment. Golf enthusiasts can sharpen their game with a nine-hole putting course and virtual golf simulators. The Lotus Spa features a Thermal Sanctuary Suite that includes heated lounge chairs, a steam room and a sauna.
Princess automatically assesses a per-person daily charge for stateroom and dining staff. There is also an automatic 15% gratuity tacked on to all beverage and bar tabs.
Taking the Kids
Princess has made significant strides in creating a family-friendly cruise experience. Youth clubs are available for kids ages 3 to 17 years. Younger children can participate in a variety of games and arts and crafts, while older kids enjoy science labs and scavenger hunts.